Program Type: Children and Youth Services
The Canal Family Support Literacy program provides extra support and targeted intervention with reading comprehension, critical thinking, fluency and decoding skills to support the academic and cognitive development of youth in the Canal community. We are seeking an experienced volunteer who enjoys working with children, who come from disadvantaged backgrounds, to serve as a Literacy Specialist volunteer. The Literacy Specialist volunteer will lead small reading intervention groups focused on comprehension, vocabulary and phonics instruction to elementary-age English language learners.
• Develop and implement after-school literacy intervention curriculum
• Support English learner’s reading comprehension skills
• Support students through small group reading instruction
• Previous classroom teaching and curriculum planning experience
• Genuine interest to help children who struggle academically
Time Commitment: 3- 4 hours a week, Monday-ThursdayGet Started